Elyn Zimmerman- “Elemental Works on Paper” Elyn Zimmerman is not only a photographer. She is an American sculptor who is known for environmental art. Elyn is from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and receiver a bachelor’s degree from UCLA. She then went on to receive her MFA in painting and photography. When I first opened her book titled “Elemental Works on Paper” it caught my eye the most. Not only did it have cool textures, but her images are created with multiple different images compiled together, creating a grid throughout the image. Her series called “Typographies” consist of what seems to be different textures in nature photographed in different positions or spots. She then creates a rhythm throughout the image by connecting the image on the grid in certain places that have the same type of texture in both images. The images have a very dynamic feel to them and is not something you see every day in photography.
Mimmo Jodice: Every photograph in the book is of architecture in cities around the world. All is photographed in black and white with a very slow shutter speed. I can tell it was photographed with a slow shutter speed because in some of the pictures where there are cars and people, they are shown not very clearly. Most of the photographs are shown from a high or level point of view. There are very few photographs that are looking up at the buildings or statues which is something that I found interesting. I also noticed that there are a few photographs within the book that it looks like Jodice was walking towards her subject just slightly while photographing it. Because in some of the photographs there is like a fairly small spot where everything is clear, but everything around it seems to contain a motion blur with the lines all pointing to the clear circle. It was a really cool effect that I think adds something...
Alec Soth: Going through the book, I would say that Alec Soth is a photographer with a sense of humor. There was something a little odd about almost every single photograph and most of them were comedic. It is not obvious at first, but the more I looked at each photograph I was able to find something a little off. Every photograph I saw in the book raised multiple questions without any sign of answer’s anywhere in sight. It made me curious as to what was going on and why things were where they were. Soth’s subjects he photographed ranged from people, to objects, to landscapes. The oddness made every photograph unique and interesting. It was hard to tell whether or not some of the oddness from the scenes were set up by Soth or not. I read some of the text within the book and a big theme that kept repeating was America. After going back through the book, the “America” in each photo was very clear to me. Alth...
Comments
Post a Comment